Dave Pollard, in his blog "How to Save the World " lists twelve exercises to train your mind to think creatively!
I just give you the points (and my comments!), for details you know where to go!
- Meditation: Dont try to force your mind to sit idle. Just follow your thoughts.
- Reconnect With Your Senses: Close your eyes and smell things; touch and feel things to guess what is that!
- Reconnect With Your Intuition: This has worked humpty number of times.
- Analogies and Metaphors: Metaphors are more than words. They can break or make a situation. Careful with the right kind of metaphors.
- Conversations and Interviews: Share your thoughts. Ask questions. Listen.
- Synthesis, Distillation and Restatement: Try to redefine the problem. Erase all your thoughts. Imagine you are an alien coming up to earth and starting to discover everything!
- Reading (and Writing) Fiction: Read. Write or at least Think. Never restrict your mind.
- Psychoactive and Other Drugs: I don’t advise this. Unless you know ‘where the point of return is’
- Learning a New Language: Works best.
- Learning Something Outside Your Comfort Zone: Try Piano, try poem writing (Don’t show them!)
- Do Impulsive and Serendipitous Things: Switch off the TV. Walk. Count the dogs coming on the opposite way (leave the human beings!)
- Collaboration: Try connecting different things. Walkman and a Bird. Women and Mars!